Thursday, December 25, 2008

I just graduated...

Today is Christmas. Yesterday was December 24th, my 24th birthday. The day before that, I got my grades back from my last semester of college and, seeing that they were all passing, realized I had just graduated.

One day you finish college, the next day starts your Golden Year, the next day it's Christmas and you don't know what to do with yourself so you start a blog.

What do I mean, be my own graduate program? The way I look at it is this:

The best course I ever took in college was Relativism. It wasn't even called Philosophy of Relativism or Problems of Relativism, but just the nasty thing itself, Relativism. I technically got a "W" (Withdrawal) in the course after adding too many supplementary psychedelic trips to my scholarly agenda and having it backfire. I'll tell that story later.

But the point is, if you're smart and then you sign up for a Relativism class, you'll spend the rest of your life taking it. Because the essential question asked is, "Is there such thing as absolute, capital-T Truth?" And, "Why or why not? How would I know it if I saw it?"

I've seen some Truth in subtle hues and I want to share my experiences and discuss my thoughts with others. I just think sitting in a room with "classmates" and a "professor" is an overused mechanism, and I want to experience myself learning totally new shit in more open-ended ways. Class is whenever and includes everything and is limited only in my ability to perceive what's really happening around me. I want to talk about quirky books like Prometheus Rising. Maybe I've just been taking the wrong classes-- I don't know. Certainly, part of this blog is my fear of actual grad school.

But whatever. I want to write about rainbow-colored, supersaturated, lick-your-lips, cum-in-your-pants, thickly-textured nonsense instead. (On a good day. Good to at least set a high bar.) You're gonna love it. Give me a chance to talk about some trippy business with you for a bit. Ride with the Heady Carpool. Or hate it -- it's okay to be wrong. Nature's fertilizer. Heated discussion is the finish line.


1 comment: