We will, throughout this book, consider the human brain a kind of
bio-computer--an electro-colloidal computer, as distinct from the electronic or
solid-state computers which exist outside our heads.
Don't worry, my man Wilson isn't calling us computers. I've had too many bad experiences with thinkers who tell me I'm some sort of robot. My robotness doesn't compute it properly. Plus, most people who write about levels of consciousness like to be humorless about it, which causes anxiety.
Robert Anton Wilson doesn't want you to get bent out of shape over how unevolved you are. He's chill. He's like, "Becca, what's your hardware? Think about what your software is."
Hardware is my localized processing unit-- my neurons, my synapses, the grey matter inside. Software is information that requires no physical location. So let's say my favorite book is Once Upon a Potty, then whoever else has read Once Upon A Potty has that same software in their system.
What's the point of this metaphor? I think it's to try to get us to think about where in the space between freefloating consciousness and biological life processes we imagine ourselves to exist.
(Off-topic: I put down the word "VAGINA" in Scrabble today for 39 points.)
I guess writing about the space between spirit and matter made me think of vaginas. Makes sense. The ancient symbol for it is a big ol vag. Anyway-
There are four programs of software representing four levels of ingrainedness. I'll give examples:
1. Genetic Imperatives. I decide to eat food every day without much debate because it's a deeply rooted instinct.
2. Imprints. My strongest imprint, which is to say my inclination to perceive the world in a certain way based on powerful events that occurred during my early development, the strongest imprint I have is to perceive a loss and longing for anything associated with the paternal, because my dad died when I was a little kid. Most people probably don't know their imprints without analyzing themselves because instead of a death, it's a long-forgotten event or sentiment.
3. Conditioning. I was conditioned to think that black people are violent degenerates. I had to be counter-conditioned a la going to college, living in the city around black people, etc.
4. Learning. I'm organizing my thoughts on a blog. I learned how to use a blog.
There's a ton of shit in Chapter Two that I haven't even gotten into yet... mathematics and LSD, the eight circuits... I'll flesh everything out more before I really crack into the good stuff.
No comments:
Post a Comment