This entire process [of structure emerging out of the consciousness of the
infant] is analyzed in G. Spencer Brown's Laws of Form; and Brown was writing
about the foundations of mathematics and logic. But every sensitive reader knows
that Brown is also talking about a process we have all passed through in
creating, out of an infinite ocean of signals, those particular constructs we
call "myself" and "my world." Not surprisingly, many acid-heads have said that
Brown's math is the best description ever written of an LSD trip.
As it turns out, I bought a copy of Laws of Form for about 45 cents at a used bookstore in Philadelphia that went out of business a few months ago. I was in a hurry at the time, and added it to my pile of books because the back jacket said that Brown was a student of Wittgenstein, Bertrand Russell, and R. D. Laing. I can read Wittgenstein with all the comprehension skills of a tube of toothpaste, but I positively love R.D. Laing. I'll definitely blog here about some of his ridiculously fascinating existential explanations of schizophrenia. Also on the back of Laws of Form is a strong endorsement by Alan Watts, whom I consider the biggest influence in my way of thinking.
Nevertheless, I got the book home, opened it up, and was shocked to find a book full of mathematical equations. However, now that I've uncovered this little hint from Wilson, I'll revisit Laws of Form and see if it's digestable as philosophical material for people who don't do LSD.
Which reminds me, kids at home: DON'T DO LSD. I've never done it, but I've heard horror stories. The Unabomber was first a math genius at Harvard and then he took LSD under the supervision of Timothy Leary, and he went fucking insane. (I'm not making this up.) LSD turns free-loving hippies into Manson Family crazies. The point I'm trying to make is that Be Your Own Graduate School highly endorses taking trips by means of reading trippy philosophical texts. That's what riding with the Heady Carpool is all about. But it 100% denounces taking trips by means of dangerous drugs.
Coming up:
-Heady Carpool moves through some notorious mathematical equations in Laws of Form
-I make more of an effort to meditate
-Possible guarded speculation about the internet mirroring evolving consciousness
-Let's all of us do the Exercizes in Chapter Two (it's the typical Ponder Your Navel intensified)
-Chapter Three: Our very first circuit! The Oral Bio-Survival Circuit. Freud lays down the foundation, some primatologists make us feel humble, and G.I. Gurdjieff yells at mankind for falling asleep on the job. Stay tuned, people!
When I came across this blog, I thought it may have been written by someone I knew from college (undergrad days) given the parallel interests. But, this person did LSD (as I did), so I guess it's not you BM.
ReplyDeleteNo, sorry. What are you cosuffering from, if you don't mind my asking? Just shit in general?
ReplyDeletehttp://sumpatheia.wordpress.com
ReplyDeleteI'm fighting for my life and mind right now.
I fell over this blog as someone with a great interest in RAW, who studied with him online during his last years, etc - and so enjoy any discussion of the material he found so interesting, and will certainly spend some time zooming around the blog.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I would be interested to know what proof you have that the Unabomber guy took acid with Leary (given that Leary spent a good long time in jail).
According to Wikipedia (and I know that may not have all the facts) he attended Harvard from 1958-62 - and took part in a CIA funded stress experiment, which can't have helped his stability. No mention of Leary. And Leary used psilocybin for the first few years of his experiments, he didn't get his hands on LSD until Kaczynski was leaving for Berkeley.
Do you think they met again later, before he started bombing people?
Leary spent a lot of time on the run, even after he got out of jail, and I don't think he got back on the scene until about 1976.
But hey, what do I know? I would find your sources intriguing to research.
Oh, and yes, I took acid quite frequently between 1967 and 1973, and occasionally later. I may be odd, but I ain't a crazy Manson follower! So the transformation doesn't seem automatic...
Dosage, set and setting remains the clue.